Friday, Aug 18, 2017 | Last Update : 09:56 PM IST

BMC’s mangrove cell to launch eviction drive

AGE CORRESPONDENT
Published : Sep 21, 2016, 2:47 am IST
Updated : Sep 21, 2016, 2:47 am IST

From October onwards, the state government’s mangrove cell will begin an eviction drive of some 1,000 houses that allegedly encroach upon notified mangrove areas in Mumbai.

From October onwards, the state government’s mangrove cell will begin an eviction drive of some 1,000 houses that allegedly encroach upon notified mangrove areas in Mumbai.

“The mangrove cell, being an authorised body, can initiate action and demolish those buildings that have encroached upon mangrove land. We are waiting for September to end as the monsoon season is still not over. The eviction drive has not been initiated yet on humanitarian grounds,” said chief conservator of forest N. Vasudevan.

He added: “The cell had already identified 4,000 such houses, which have encroached upon mangrove area. It had initiated action and these houses and constructions have been razed. We will start the next course of action from October.”

The Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) norms came into effect in 1991, mandating restoration of the mangroves to their pre-1991 status.

However, there have been incidents of violations and the Bombay high court in 2005 had issued directives to avoid further violations of the Environment Protection Act, 1986, Mr Vasudevan said.