Wednesday, Nov 21, 2018 | Last Update : 12:57 AM IST
Senior advocate Colin Gonsalves, appearing for Ahmed’s mother Fatima.
New Delhi: Over a year after it was handed over the probe, the CBI on Thursday said it was seriously considering filing a closure report in the missing case of JNU student Najeeb Ahmed, who had disappeared from the varsity campus nearly two years ago.
“We are seriously contemplating whether to file a closure report,” the agency told a Delhi high court bench of Justices S. Muralidhar and Vinod Goel.
However, the agency made it clear that it was going to examine a few more aspects before taking a final decision in this regard.
Ahmed had gone missing from the Mahi-Mandvi hostel of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) on October 15, 2016 following a scuffle with some other students, allegedly affiliated to the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the previous night.
The CBI also told the court that till date its probe has not found any evidence to show any crime was committed, nor did it find any material to arrest or take coercive action against nine students who are suspected by Ahmed’s family of being behind his disappearance.
As the Delhi police remained clueless about his whereabouts even seven months after he went missing, the probe was handed over to the CBI on May 16 last year.
Senior advocate Colin Gonsalves, appearing for Ahmed’s mother Fatima
Nafees, said the nine suspected students were named in a complaint by 18 students who were eyewitnesses to the assault on Ahmed, yet they were not interrogated.
The bench, thereafter, asked the CBI to make a compilation of the statements given to it by the 18 students.