Friday, Aug 14, 2020 | Last Update : 08:23 PM IST

142nd Day Of Lockdown

Maharashtra54831338184318650 Tamil Nadu3145202563135278 Andhra Pradesh2641421709242378 Karnataka1964941126333511 Delhi1494601343184167 Uttar Pradesh140775887862280 West Bengal98459671202059 Telangana8647563074665 Bihar8274154139450 Gujarat71064542382652 Assam5883842326145 Rajasthan5249738235789 Odisha4592731785321 Haryana4163534781483 Madhya Pradesh3902529020996 Kerala3811424922127 Jammu and Kashmir2489717003472 Punjab2390315319586 Jharkhand185168998177 Chhatisgarh12148880996 Uttarakhand96326134125 Goa871259575 Tripura6161417641 Puducherry5382320187 Manipur3752204411 Himachal Pradesh3371218114 Nagaland30119738 Arunachal Pradesh223115923 Chandigarh1595100425 Meghalaya11154986 Sikkim9105101 Mizoram6203230
  India   All India  03 Feb 2017  Experts cross swords over ‘killer’ litchi

Experts cross swords over ‘killer’ litchi

THE ASIAN AGE.
Published : Feb 3, 2017, 3:40 am IST
Updated : Feb 3, 2017, 7:03 am IST

Muzaffarpur is the largest litchi producing region in the country.

The findings had also revealed that children who fell ill may have skipped dinner which probably resulted in “night time hypoglycemia”.
 The findings had also revealed that children who fell ill may have skipped dinner which probably resulted in “night time hypoglycemia”.

Patna: Scientists and researchers associated with National Research Centre on Litchi, Muzaffarpur, have out rightly rejected the report which claims that hundreds of children died due to litchi consumption in Bihar.

A senior scientist associated with the centre, Dr Sushil Kumar Purbey, told this newspaper that tests carried out by researchers seems “inconclusive and contradictory in nature.”

 

He said, “We are preparing a reply which we will send to the researchers associated with these findings soon.”

Researchers from the US Centre for disease control and prevention and India’s National Centre for disease control had conducted series of tests on sick children in Muzaffarpur area and compared the samples with those who were healthy.

The findings, according to a report published in a medical journal, reveals that most of the sick children had consumed litchi fruits before falling ill. The findings had also revealed that children who fell ill may have skipped dinner which probably resulted in “night time hypoglycemia”.

 

Fearing that the published report may impact the consumption of litchis in Bihar and other parts of the country, he said, “I can assure that there is no need to panic as the research, as per the report, was only carried out on a few children.”

He claimed that tests were conducted on 327 patients who were admitted in different hospitals of Muzaffarpur and they found low glucose level only in 62 per cent “but they didn’t mention anything about their findings on the rest 38 per cent.”

He further raised questions by saying that tests were localised and samples were not collected from other parts of the state where litchi farming is being done. He said, “There should be a multi-location trial but they conducted tests only in Muzaffarpur.”

 

Muzaffarpur is the largest litchi producing region in the country.

Tags: disease, litchi, hypoglycemia
Location: India, Bihar, Patna