Modi unfurled the National Flag and delivered the customary address to the nation from the Red Fort at 7:30 am.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday addressed the nation on the 73rd Independence Day. He unfurled the National Flag and delivered the customary address to the nation from the Red Fort at 7:30 am. He talked about a host of issues, ranging from his government’s landmark decision on Jammu and Kashmir to the flood-hit parts of the country.
Read | One nation, one Constitution spirit has become a reality: PM in I-Day speech
Here are the top quotes from PM Modi's Independence Day address:
- While the nation celebrates Independence Day today, we must think of people facing immense difficulties due to floods. Rescue teams are working round-the-clock to ensure that they are safe.
- We have taken some very significant decisions in the first 10 weeks itself to ensure that the nation sees unhindered growth. The removal of Article 370, Article 35-A, ban on Triple Talaq have been important steps. We have fulfilled Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s dream.
- The betterment of lives of our brothers and sisters in Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh is our collective responsibility as fellow countrymen.
- The spirit of "One Nation, One Constitution" has become a reality and India is proud of that.
- Today, the entire world faces the threat of terrorism. We must deal with it collectively. India would certainly do its bit to fight terrorism.
- Population explosion in the country would create various problems for the coming generations. Those who follow the policy of small family also contribute to the development of the nation, it is also a form of patriotism.”
- We would move forward with Jal Jeevan Mission. The Centre and states will work towards it and in coming years, more than Rs 3.5 lakh crore will be spent.
- In GST, we implemented one nation-one tax. In power, we implemented one nation-one grid. For the automobile sector, we implemented one nation-one mobility card. Similarly, discussions around one nation-one election are on.”
- Our forces are India’s pride. To further sharpen coordination between the forces, Modi announced a major decision from the Red Fort. India will have a Chief of Defence Staff- CDS. This is going to make the forces even more effective.”