Sunday, Nov 28, 2021 | Last Update : 04:20 AM IST

  India   Politics  20 Jun 2018  ‘Operation All-Out’ now set to get tougher

‘Operation All-Out’ now set to get tougher

THE ASIAN AGE. | SANJIB KR BARUAH
Published : Jun 20, 2018, 1:34 am IST
Updated : Jun 20, 2018, 1:34 am IST

It may be recalled that the Centre had categorically turned down Ms Mufti’s appeal to hold talks with the Hurriyat leaders.

Moments after the BJP withdrew support, Union home minister Rajnath Singh held an hour-long meeting on Tuesday afternoon at his residence to take stock of the latest security situation in the troubled state. (Photo: File)
 Moments after the BJP withdrew support, Union home minister Rajnath Singh held an hour-long meeting on Tuesday afternoon at his residence to take stock of the latest security situation in the troubled state. (Photo: File)

New Delhi: With the BJP pulling from the Mehbooba-led government in Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday just after the month-long Ramzan ceasefire hiatus, Operation All-Out is set to begin with a renewed thrust to eliminate Kashmiri militants and smash their networks.

Moments after the BJP withdrew support, Union home minister Rajnath Singh held an hour-long meeting on Tuesday afternoon at his residence to take stock of the latest security situation in the troubled state. NSA Ajit Doval, Union home secretary Rajiv Gauba and Intelligence Bureau chief Rajiv Jain attended the meeting. Sources said a decision was taken to wait for the J&K governor N.N. Vohra’s report on the state’s security situation.

 

Speculations are rife that the Centre could possibly appoint a new governor in J&K after the Amarnath yatra, which starts on June 28 and will continue for two months.

Speaking to a news agency, a senior BJP leader said that “Central government would like incumbent N.N. Vohra to be in charge of the annual pilgrimage given his vast experience.”

It may be recalled that Mr Vohra, who was appointed governor in June 2008 and given a fresh term in 2013, is among the few governors appointed by the UPA government to have continued in his position in the BJP-led NDA dispensation.

On Wednesday, defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman will visit the residence of Aurangzeb in Poonch, the soldier who was abducted in Pulwama while on his way home for Id celebrations and later brutally shot dead by terrorists last week. She will also meet top officials in the state handling security duties.

 

That the crackdown has already begun became clear with a top security officer whose mandate includes Kashmir operations saying: “As soon as the Ramzan ceasefire ended, we already undertook two operations in Bijbehara and in Pampore. Even today, there was an operation in Traal, so Operation All-Out is definitely on now.”

It may be recalled that the Centre had categorically turned down Ms Mufti’s appeal to hold talks with the Hurriyat leaders. The Army was also reportedly against the unilateral ceasefire, which was declared under pressure from the PDP, sources said.

Asked if Cordon and Search Operations (CASO) will also be kick-started, the officer revealed: “Operation All-Out was never called off completely.” It was learnt that with the ideological and operational differences now gone, the security forces will now be given a free hand if the state comes under governor’s rule.

 

BJP senior leader Ram Madhav said: “In order to bring control over the situation prevailing in the state, we have decided that the reign of power in the state be handed over to the governor.”

Tags: operation all-out, jammu and kashmir, rajnath singh, mehbooba mufti