Saturday, Jun 25, 2022 | Last Update : 05:18 PM IST

  World   Middle East  07 Dec 2016  80,000 fled Aleppo since army operation began

80,000 fled Aleppo since army operation began

AFP
Published : Dec 7, 2016, 4:25 pm IST
Updated : Dec 7, 2016, 4:25 pm IST

The army has made swift progress in its operation to recapture east Aleppo and now controls three-quarters of the sector.

The government has been urging civilians to leave for months, and has accused the rebels of holding residents hostage for use as human shields. (Photo: AP)
 The government has been urging civilians to leave for months, and has accused the rebels of holding residents hostage for use as human shields. (Photo: AP)

Beirut: At least 80,000 people have fled east Aleppo since the Syrian army began an operation in mid-November to recapture the rebel-held sector of the second city, a monitor said Wednesday.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the figure included residents who have sought refuge in the government-held west of the city and a Kurdish-controlled enclave between the two sectors.

 

But it does not include others who have fled south to remaining rebel-held territory, Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman said.

The army has made swift progress in its operation to recapture east Aleppo and now controls three-quarters of the sector, which had been a rebel bastion since 2012.

The government has been urging civilians to leave for months, and has accused the rebels of holding residents hostage for use as "human shields."

Before the assault began, an estimated 250,000 people remained in east Aleppo, which was surrounded by government forces in mid-July, halting deliveries of basic goods.

Tags: aleppo operation, syria army, civilians, human rights