Saturday, Jan 23, 2021 | Last Update : 11:33 AM IST

  World   Europe  22 Feb 2018  Brussels on alert amid reports of gunman, police say no terrorist attack

Brussels on alert amid reports of gunman, police say no terrorist attack

REUTERS
Published : Feb 22, 2018, 8:10 pm IST
Updated : Feb 22, 2018, 8:10 pm IST

Brussels is still on alert after suicide bombers killed 32 people at the airport and on the metro in March 2016.

Police closed down a street in southern Brussels in a major security operation involving specialist armed units on Thursday after a report of a possible murder. (Representational Image)
 Police closed down a street in southern Brussels in a major security operation involving specialist armed units on Thursday after a report of a possible murder. (Representational Image)

Brussels: Police closed down a street in southern Brussels in a major security operation involving specialist armed units on Thursday after a report of a possible murder.

A police spokeswoman denied media reports that an armed gunman was hiding in the area. She said that the special units of the federal police had been deployed after a Polish man reported that someone had been murdered in the morning.

 

“They are searching the buildings but we can say there has not been any terrorist attack,” she said.

Brussels is still on alert after suicide bombers killed 32 people at the airport and on the metro in March 2016.

Tags: police, terrorist attack, brussels attack
Location: Belgium, Bryssel, Bruxelles [Brussel]