Thursday, Jun 30, 2022 | Last Update : 10:03 AM IST

  Technology   In Other news  17 Jan 2019  Marriott looks to reboot loyalty plan after cyber attack

Marriott looks to reboot loyalty plan after cyber attack

REUTERS
Published : Jan 17, 2019, 11:50 am IST
Updated : Jan 17, 2019, 11:50 am IST

The world’s biggest hotel chain said the new brand, Marriott Bonvoy, will replace the existing loyalty programs.

The company, which owns the Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis luxury hotel brands, disclosed earlier this month that fewer than 383 million customer records were stolen in a cyber attack. (Photo: AP)
 The company, which owns the Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis luxury hotel brands, disclosed earlier this month that fewer than 383 million customer records were stolen in a cyber attack. (Photo: AP)

Marriott International Inc will relaunch its loyalty program under a new brand name, the company said on Wednesday, as it seeks to undo the damage to its name from a massive cyber attack that led to millions of customer records being stolen.

The world’s biggest hotel chain said the new brand, Marriott Bonvoy, will replace the existing loyalty programs – Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest - integrating the three brands into one name, with the launch on Feb. 13.

The company, which owns the Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis luxury hotel brands, disclosed earlier this month that fewer than 383 million customer records were stolen in a cyber attack on its Starwood Hotels reservation system.

Marriott has phased out the Starwood reservations database after it acquired the hotel chain for USD 13.6 billion in September 2016. The hack began in 2014, a year before Marriott offered to buy Starwood.

Tags: marriott, cyberattack