Saturday, May 28, 2022 | Last Update : 10:39 PM IST

  CM expresses concern over engineering education quality

CM expresses concern over engineering education quality

PTI
Published : Jan 10, 2016, 12:05 am IST
Updated : Jan 10, 2016, 12:05 am IST

Expressing concern over the quality of engineering education in the country, Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis on Saturday said India shouldn’t squander its demographic advantage due to an unskilled l

Expressing concern over the quality of engineering education in the country, Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis on Saturday said India shouldn’t squander its demographic advantage due to an unskilled labour force.

Inaugurating the 45th annual convention of Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE), hosted by HVPM’s College of Engineering and Technology here, Mr Fadnavis said that excellence has been disconnected from technical

 

education.“Only 25 per cent of engineers produced in the country are of any use, which means the remaining 75 per cent are useless. This is a very alarming situation,” he said. Speaking before the gathering, which included delegates from foreign countries, Mr Fadnavis said, “65 per cent of Indian population is below 35. It can be developed into a workforce but what we lack is the connect. The need of the hour is to transform this workforce into a skilled human resource.”

While the Indian population’s average age will be 29 years by 2020, the same will be between 31 and 45 in other countries, which will create a great opportunity for India to become service provider of the world, he said.

 

“Technical education has been expanded through the private sector, but most of these colleges are in five states in the country, including Maharashtra,” the CM said, adding that this uneven expansion was leading to half the engineering seats remaining vacant.

He also said that ratio of four diploma holders and eight ITI certificate holders for every engineering graduate was skewed, and “we are not being able to produce as many technicians as required.”

Location: India, Maharashtra, Amravati