Opposition leaders have strongly objected to this move by the government.
Mumbai: Despite the February 2016 fire that occurred during the ‘Make in India’ cultural programme at Girgaum Chowpatty, which was organised by Wizcraft, an event management firm, the state government has awarded the responsibility of organising the ‘Magnetic Maharashtra’ cultural event to be held in the city in February to the same company. The firm was held responsible for the fire. The Brihanmumbai Muni-cipal Corporation (BMC) officials had even filed an FIR after the incident and payment to the company was held up. But no action has been taken yet, said sources.
Opposition leaders have strongly objected to this move by the government. The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) spokesperson Nawab Malick told The Asian Age that, “How has the government taken such decision? What happened to that FIR and was any action taken? A transparent government should declare all things to the public.” Congress spokesperson Sachin Sawant also opposed the decision and demanded that all information on the action taken following the fire incident. He also wanted to know if the government had invited tenders for it and what were the terms of the tender. Mr Sawant said that the government’s decision to award the contract of the event to the same company was very wrong.
The ‘Magnetic Maharashtra’ event will be held from February 18 to 20 at Bandra Kurla Complex with the aim of attracting international investors. This event will be held on a big scale like the ‘Make in India’ event. Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis had interacted with many industrialists and CEOs at the Davos summit recently, with the aim of luring them to the state. Preparations are on in full swing to host the event.
Make in India fire
After inquiry into the fire, which took place at the Make in India event held on February 14, 2016, it was held that the fire was due to complete negligence by the event management company. BMC officials had even registered an FIR, but nothing was done thereafter. The contract for the event was worth `12 crore of which `5 crore had already been paid. The CM called for the remaining payment to be stopped. But sources said it was released later.