Monday, Aug 26, 2019 | Last Update : 04:43 AM IST

Fire breaks out at godown near Crawford market

THE ASIAN AGE.
Published : Apr 23, 2019, 1:56 am IST
Updated : Apr 23, 2019, 1:56 am IST

The incident took place at around 10.50 in the morning on Monday.

The fire was doused around 1.15 pm.
 The fire was doused around 1.15 pm.

Mumbai: A major fire broke out and spread to four to five gallas of Jivdani (Super) Shopping Centre near Crawford market Monday morning.

The gallas located on the first floor having a huge stock of garments and handicrafts were fully gutted and the fire brigade declared it a major fire call.

The firemen managed to rescue few men who were trapped on the floor and nobody was injured in the incident. The incident took place at 10.50 in the morning. Four fire engines with three water tankers were rushed to the spot. The fire was doused around 1.15 pm.

The four-storeyed Super Shopping Centre is located at Abdul Rahman Street behind Juma Masjid. The commercial building is presently shut till the initial investigation into the fire is carried out with the help of police. However, it is suspected that the fire started from the air conditioner in the shop which later spread to adjacent shops.

“The building being an old structure did not have any inbuilt fire-fighting system. There was a thick blanket of smoke due to fire as the garments were gutted,” said a fire officer present on the spot. Chief fire officer P.S. Rahangdale informed, “The fire was confined to the electrical wiring, installations, clothes’ stock, garments’ raw material in four to five gallas of the first floor of the commercial building. The trapped people were rescued by the firemen.”

Tags: fire broke out, crawford market