Those admitted to the Raigad state-run hospital told the police that the cloth used to cover the food smelled of insecticide.
Mumbai: Two days after three children died and around 40 persons were hospitalised in a suspected case of food poisoning in Raigad, the police has found that a cloth with insecticide was used to cover the food, which could have led to the tragedy. The police is awaiting forensic test results.
The dinner was held at the newly-built residence of Subhash Mane Monday evening. The guests ate vegetable bir-yani and sheera and we-nt home. Soon after, they started feeling unwell and had to be rushed to hospitals. Those admitted to the Raigad state-run hospital told the police that the cloth used to cover the food smelled of insecticide.
Dr Ajit Gawli, Raigad district civil surgeon, said, “We conducted the serum test of two patients, showing presence of organophosphate, a pesticide. The cholinesterase enzyme level was found to be around 800, which ideally should be 1,200, confirming presence of organophosphate. After reports of the deceased come in, we can confirm the chemical.” Supe-rintendent Anil Para-skar said, “We are taking down statements of those admitted.”