Out of 94,851, action has been taken in 5K cases.
Mumbai: The ignorance of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) is evident from their inaction towards evacuation of the dilapidated buildings and illegal constructions in Mumbai. The BMC in last three years has received as many as 94,851 complaints with regard to illegal constructions on its online portal. However, action has been taken in only 5,461 cases so far.
The data was provided by the removal of encroachment department of BMC in a Right to Information (RTI) reply to activist Shakeel Ahmed of Adhikar Foundation.
Mr Ahmed said, “The illegal constructions are rampant in Mumbai and the government takes no actions. The BMC spends hefty amount to avoid illegal constructions and evaluations. Such constr-uctions are encroachme-nts and the BMC also has removal of encroachme-nts department, but it see-ms they are turning a bli-nd eye towards illegal bu-ildings. The BMC from March 1, 2016 to July 8, 2019 has received total 94,851 complaints regarding illegal structures in Mumbai but action has been taken in only 5,461 cases.”
Adding to the complications, the BMC claimed that the Kesarbai building falls under Mhada. However, Mhada said that the 25/C Kesarbai building was legal but the part of the building, which collapsed was illegal and cess was not collected.
A senior police officer, who is part of the police investigation into the collapse incident, said the inquiry will find out who is the actual owners of the building and whether the residents were paying paying tax or cess.
Deputy municipal commissioner, zone 1, Hars-had Kale said, “The building was termed as C1 category (extremely dilapidated) and evacuation notice was sent to the landlords. Mhada too was informed about the same. In our records the building is one structure but having two entries (like A and B wing). Mhada in its official statement said the evaluation notice was se-nt to Kesarbai 25/C building. However, that no action was taken so far.”