The government officials have demanded more clarity on few topics like public accounts committee and other safety concerns.
Mumbai: The state government has not approved the monorail proposal of Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), making the wait for monorail longer. As the monorail service is shut since November 2017, after a fire accident in which two coaches got burnt, the MMRDA had proposed to the state government to re-start the corridor again with modifications. Some old issues have to be complied with by the MMRDA, revealed a state government official.
“The proposal was sent back on Monday, the government officials have demanded more clarity on few topics like PAC (Public Accounts Committee) and other safety concerns. We will file a reply soon in order to start the corridor,” said Sanjay Khandare, additional metropolitan commissioner, MMRDA.
Monorail Phase 1 (Chembur-Wadala) is shut since November 2017 after a major fire gutted two rakes, while the second phase (Wadala- Jacob Circle) got clearance from Commissioner of Railway Safety (CRS) in April this year. The MMRDA was now awaiting the state nod to start the corridor.
Speaking to The Asian Age, Nitin Kareer, principal secretary of Urban Development Department (UDD) said, “There is some compliances which is to be made of some old issues. The report has been given make to necessary compliances.”
Meanwhile, the MMRDA is approaching Mumbai Rail Vikas Corporation (MRVC) to run the monorail corridor, since the shortlisted bidder IL&FS had quoted a higher amount to run the corridor. “The MRVC will study and get back to us,” added Khandare.
Further, no consultants have so far came forward to bid for the design of emergency evacuation exit of monorail.