Wednesday, Feb 08, 2023 | Last Update : 09:35 AM IST

  Metros   Mumbai  04 Dec 2018  Maratha quota challenged in HC

Maratha quota challenged in HC

THE ASIAN AGE.
Published : Dec 4, 2018, 1:59 am IST
Updated : Dec 4, 2018, 1:59 am IST

The state government, on December 1, filed a caveat petition in the Supreme Court anticipating a challenge to the legislation.

Bombay high court
 Bombay high court

Mumbai; Petitions have been filed in the Bombay high court challenging the state government’s decision to grant 16 per cent reservation to the Maratha community in education and government jobs. The state government, on December 1, filed a caveat petition in the Supreme Court anticipating a challenge to the legislation. The caveat petition has prayed that no order shall be passed in any petition concerning the Maratha reservation legislation without first hearing the state government.

Advocate Gunratan Sadavarte, who stated that the state government’s move is contrary to the Supreme Court judgment that says no reservation can exceed 50 per cent, filed the petition. Advocate Jayashree Patil has also filed another petition on the same subject.

Mr Sadavarte, appearing for petitioner Jayashree Patil, claimed the state government’s decision was violative of Supreme Court orders, which says that reservation in any state should not exceed 50 per cent.

Mr Sadavarte is likely to mention the petition before a division bench of Chief Justice N.H. Patil and Justice M.S. Karnik on December 6.

On November 29, the Maharashtra legislature passed a bill granting 16 per cent reservation for the community under the socially and educationally backward category (SEBC). This 16 per cent quota will be in addition to the existing 52 per cent reservation for other groups, taking the total percentage in the state to 68 per cent.

The bill was approved and signed by the governor on November 30. In June last year, the State Backward Class Commission was asked to study the social, financial and educational status of the Maratha community. The commission submitted its report to the government last month.

Tags: bombay high court