17 persons had died in the building collapse last week in Ghatkopar.
Mumbai: Taking a note of the loss of lives in Ghatkopar’s Siddhi Saidarshan building collapse on July 25, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has declared compensation of Rs 2 lakh each for the relatives of deceased. PM Modi also approved Rs 50,000 each for those injured in the building collapse. The announcement was made by the Twitter account of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO). 17 persons had died in the building collapse last week in Ghatkopar.
The PMO Twitter handle said, “PM has approved Rs 2 lakh each for the next of kin of those who lost their lives due to a building collapse in Ghatkopar, Mumbai.” It also said “PM @narendramodi has approved Rs 50,000 each for those injured due to a building collapse in Ghatkopar, Mumbai.”
Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis had said in the Assembly last week that the beams and columns of the building were tempered with. He even said an online system would be created in the Development Control Rules to make a provision for the redevelopment of the old buildings.
The building was constructed in 1982 and Occupation Certificate (OC) was given in 1983 for 14 flats. In 2009, the residential reservation for the building was converted into a nursing home. Later, in July this year, permission was sought to close down the nursing home, the CM added.
Sunil Shitap, the main accused in the collapse of Ghatkopar building, has been arrested and remanded to police custody till August 2.
Shitap’s wife had contested the civic polls on a Shiv Sena ticket last year.