Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 | Last Update : 09:45 PM IST

  Metros   Delhi  18 Aug 2018  Drunk youth held for ruckus outside airport

Drunk youth held for ruckus outside airport

Published : Aug 18, 2018, 1:38 am IST
Updated : Aug 18, 2018, 1:38 am IST

2 rounds fired to bring situation under control.

Indira Gandhi International Airport.
 Indira Gandhi International Airport.

New Delhi: High drama prevailed at the Delhi Airport on Thursday night after a man tried to take control of a cab. However, the CISF (Central Industrial Security Force) intercepted him and fired two rounds to contain him. Later, it was found that the accused was under the influence of alcohol and was trying to take the taxi forcefully.

“On the intervening night of Thursday and Friday, a PCR call regarding a firing incident at a CISF check post was received at the IGI Airport police station. Upon reaching the spot it was revealed that one Shankar alias Amit (27), a resident of Sangam Vihar, sitting as CISF staff at the barricade, intercepted a passenger in a taxi driven by one Anil Kumar,” said DCP (IGI) Sanjay Bhatia.

“The incident took place when the cab was stopped for a routine check after the CISF personnel found the cab movement to be suspicious. The cab driver signalled CISF officials stationed at the security check that the on-board passenger had forcefully barged into the cab. When Shankar identified the signals, made by the cab driver to the CISF officials, he slapped the driver and told him to get out of the cab. Shankar immediately took control of the car and tried to run from the spot. However, he was stopped by the CISF’s barricades. He was asked to come out of the car. After he came out of the car, a scuffle broke out between them.

“Meanwhile, the accused tried to overpower the CISF official while trying to grab his pistol. Taking cognisance of the incident, the CISF official immediately pulled out his service gun and made a warning shot. Simultaneously, he fired another shot in the air,” said CISF spokesperson Hemendra Singh.

The accused was in an inebriated state and four onlookers stepped in to rein him. Later, he was tied with rope and handed over to the police for further legal action.

The accused works as a bouncer. His credentials have been verified and it was found that he was previously involved in a case.

Tags: delhi airport, drunk, indira gandhi international airport