A 15-year-old boy became immobile after diving into shallow end of a swimming pool.
New Delhi: Swimming is the best form of exercise, but beware of the way you do it. Diving into the shallow end of the pool can be life-threatening. Doctors at Indian Spinal Injuries Centre came across a boy who injured his neck while diving incorrectly.
A 15-year-old boy became immobile after diving into the shallow end of a pool. The incident, which happened on March 13 in Kolkata, paralysed the professional swimmer’s four limbs and he lost control over his urine and stool.
Doctors said that several cases of youngsters suffering from paralysis due to diving and hitting the floor have been observed recently and awareness regarding safety measures is required as summers are around.
The boy, identified as Mohd Adil, is a Kolkata resident and he was initially stabilised in a hospital at his home town where the incident took place. He came to Indian Spinal Injuries Centre (ISIC for rehabilitation and further management.
“Medical examination revealed the lack of any movement below C6 neurological level where also it was only Grade 2 power (normal is 5). There was no sensation below C5 level and complete numbness in the perianal area. After detailed assessment, comprehensive rehabilitation has been started. Bowel and bladder training has been initiated. Comprehensive medical management has been initiated in the form of respiratory as well as cardiovascular management,” said Dr H.S. Chhabra, medical director and chief of spine services.
Diving towards shallow end head may cause severe injuries because the head may hit the bottom/floor. “Diving head first in shallow water can cause enough impact to break the neck and cause paralysis. Not that diving foot folded is a good idea because sometimes the depth of water is so low that the feet or a body parts end-up hitting the pool floor, especially for adults. This too can cause fracture ,” he added.
“It is highly important that professionals play a key role in not only educating people and spreading awareness of safety measures,” he said.