Relationships between men and women are based on respect that promotes and even demands equality.
“You men have to fall in line. Here after, you have to take turns washing all dirty clothes,” taunted Reema, to her husband Rajesh. Reema was referring to a washing machine designed by a Spanish designer Pep Torres which uses a fingerprint recognition technology, preventing the same person from using it twice in a row. Thus, ensuring that men do their share of domestic chores.
But let us not be guided by a washing machine. A couple should value each other’s skills while admitting their shortcomings. Here are a few guidelines. Following them along with sharing responsibility and supporting each other will avoid the war between the two sexes and enjoy a satisfying and stable marriage.
- Relationships between men and women are based on respect that promotes and even demands equality.
- Be open and flexible towards the division of work .
- Intellectually, behaviourally, emotionally and sexually there are more similarities than differences between women and men.
- Be accepting and secure about your masculinity. You don’t need the approval of others, nor should you be intimidated by rigid sex roles.
- Encourage personal and professional friendship with the opposite sex and don’t sexualise these relationships.
- Being confident about your masculinity lets you incorporate activities which have traditionally been labeled for the opposite sex, in your life.
- An intimate sexual relationship is more satisfying if both the partners can initiate and value sexual pleasure.
- Conception, contraception and children are as much the responsibility of the man as the woman.
- A communicative and sharing relationship promotes emotional and sexual satisfaction.
The writer is a sexologist. Mail him at dr.narayana @deccanmail. com