The IT engineer was rushed to a hospital two weeks back and diagnosed for breathlessness, respiratory failure and chest infection.
The effects of hookah in comparison to the repercussions smoking cigarettes has on a person’s health have been discussed for a long time. While many feel that hookahs are less harmful, they have their own share of health risks.
A 29-year-old from Mumbai is being treated for severe chest infection which he acquired by smoking hookah. It turns out that the reason behind this grave consequence is use of ‘magic coal’, which is a chunk of charcoal kept in chemicals for months to make it burn faster.
The IT engineer was rushed to a hospital two weeks back and diagnosed for breathlessness, respiratory failure and chest infection. He was kept on anti-bacterial and anti-fungal medicines before being discharged with advice to abstain from smoking.
Magic coal is popular among young people who frequently smoke hookah as it ignites faster and is easy to burn. But it emits hazardous gases like carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide increasing chances of respiratory infection and lung failure.
Experts say that magic coal, hookah flavours and other material used for smoking it contain 28 substances that may cause cancer.