Also find out about the symptoms.
Malaria affects millions around the world and can be life-threatening.
It is caused by plasmodium parasite, which is transmitted by the bite of infected mosquitoes.
However, treatment is available for the disease. While malaria is a global issue, it is a big concern in Africa, South and Central America and Southern Asia, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO). In these areas it is important to take extra precaution to avoid infection.
Symptoms of the condition include:
* Muscle pain
* Blood in stools
Within hours of becoming fatal:
* Red blood cells will not be able to carry oxygen to organs. This will leave the patient weak.
* It can also lead to brain damage and cause seizures.
* Causes kidneys and liver to fail
* Find it difficult to breathe
Treatment: varies depending on the severity of the condition. Anti-malarials, are drugs used to treat the disease. Symptoms of the disease can reoccur for people who have recovered from malaria.
Prevention: Covering yourself with a net when sleeping, applying insect repellent are some of the ways to ward off mosquitoes. If you are travelling take anti-malarials before leaving for your destination.
* Lavender oil - Fragrance keeps mosquitoes away.
* Garlic - Odour keeps mosquitoes away.
* Basil - Contains properties that could kill mosquito larvae.
* Neem oil - Acts as an insect repellant.