Friday, Jan 27, 2023 | Last Update : 03:18 AM IST

  Life   Health  24 Nov 2016  E-cigarette blow's up in man's pants in NYC

E-cigarette blow's up in man's pants in NYC

AP
Published : Nov 24, 2016, 1:26 pm IST
Updated : Nov 24, 2016, 1:26 pm IST

The man was taken by a private ambulance service to a hospital. The injuries appeared minor.

Electronic cigarettes and other battery-operated electronic smoking devices occasionally do catch fire (Photo: AP)
 Electronic cigarettes and other battery-operated electronic smoking devices occasionally do catch fire (Photo: AP)

New York: Officials say a man shopping in New York's Grand Central Terminal suffered leg and hand burns when an e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket.

Central Cellars employee John Lee says it looked like fireworks exploding when the vaporizer pen suddenly blew up in the man's pants Wednesday morning.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Aaron Donovan says the man was taken by a private ambulance service to a hospital. He says the injuries appeared minor. Donovan says train service at the transit hub wasn't affected.

Electronic cigarettes and other battery-operated electronic smoking devices occasionally do catch fire.

Last year, the federal Department of Transportation issued a rule prohibiting passengers from packing e-cigarettes in checked luggage to protect against in-flight fires.

Tags: viral story, e-cigarette, explosion