When you eat is as crucial as what you eat when it comes to sleep.
Nutritional therapist Jackie Lynch explains the habits to break to get better quality sleep and keep insomnia at bay, in a report by the Daily Mail.
Eating right is important of course, but when you eat is as crucial in order to get a good night's rest.
1. Refined carbs and sugary food: If you go to bed with high blood sugar, it will activate the insulin response that takes out sugar from the blood. This will cause low blood sugar levels to release stress hormones and adrenaline. You'll wake up feeling restless or groggy in the morning.
2. Caffeine at night: It’s is a strong stimulant and disrupt the nervous system which can cause insomnia. People have different ways of responding to it. Some people have no trouble sleeping while others do. For people more sensitive to it, it takes four to six hours to process the drink. It can also lead to palpitations, nervousness and insomnia in some cases.
3. Consuming alcohol too late at night: Some people think it helps to sleep. But it actually has a sedative effect that can disrupt your sleep cycle. This can leave you feeling tired and exhausted in the morning. Also the sugar levels in alcoholic drinks or mixers can have an impact on your blood sugar.
4. Fermented, cured and aged foods: A compound called Tyramine found in such foods like cheeses and pickles can trigger the release of neurotransmitter noradrenaline. This can increase heart rate and blood pressure. Some individuals can also experience migraines because of it.
5. Processed snacks and Chinese food: As much as most of love it, Chinese takeaway often contains hight amounts of processed monosodium glutemate (MSG). The side effects of MSG include insomnia, headaches, fatigue and muscle pain.
6. Avoid taking B vitamins after 4 in the evening: This is because it plays a big role in how the body produces energy. It can disrupt your sleep and also cause intense dreams.
7. Food rich and heavy: Indulging in food heavy in cream, spices and cheese can cause indigestion and keep you awake.