While we still have a few days of winter left to relish seasonal delicacies, here are some easy-to-cook dishes straight from the state of J&K.
- 1kg - Haak/collard
- 3-4 tbsp Mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp Hing powder
- 7-8 pods of garlic
- 3-4 green chillies small
- 1-2 Kashmiri red chilli
- 1 tsp saunf powder
- Salt to taste
- In the mustard oil first add hing, then garlic pod, then green chillies, red chillies and a bit of water so that the masala doesn’t burn.
- Then add Haak, salt, saunf, and water. Enough to completely submerge the Haak.
- Keeping cooking till the Haak is cooked and there is enough water left to be able to enjoy the flavour of the Haak.
Tsok Muj (Green Apple curry)
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp of Hing powder
- 1tsp Sauf Powder
- Two green apples, need to be sour
- One Lotus stem
- Salt to taste
- Fine slice the green apple and lotus stem and pan frie them in mustard oil
- Once done remove the apple and lotus stem. To the same mustard oil, do a tadka of half teaspoon of hing and one teaspoon of red chilli powder. Soon after, add water to avoid the red chilli powder from burning.
- Then add two tablespoon of curd and cook untill the oil separates.
- Add apples, lotus stem and water, enough for them to submerge and so that the juices of apple are released in the water.
- Add saunf powder and salt to taste and cook till the apple beocme soft.
- Half kg Shulgum (peeled and grated)
- 2 lt Milk
- Mix milk and shulgum and bring it to boil. Keep cooking on low flame till you notice a consistency coming out, indicating that the shulgum cooked and mixed well with the milk.
- At this point, add sugar as per taste and cook further till is is thick enough and start sticking to the spoon.
- Cool it and serve with nuts of your choice.
— By chef Jasleen Marwah for Shikara end-of