Tuesday, Jan 25, 2022 | Last Update : 08:58 PM IST

  5 people die as Russian copter downed in Syria

5 people die as Russian copter downed in Syria

AFP
Published : Aug 2, 2016, 6:19 am IST
Updated : Aug 2, 2016, 6:19 am IST

Five people on board a Russian military helicopter were killed Monday when it was shot down over Syria, in the single deadliest incident for Moscow since it intervened in the war.

Five people on board a Russian military helicopter were killed Monday when it was shot down over Syria, in the single deadliest incident for Moscow since it intervened in the war.

The attack came as Syrian Opposition fighters and their jihadist allies battled government forces outside Aleppo in a bid to ease the regime’s siege of rebel-held parts of the northern city.

 

Russia’s defence ministry announced the downing of the helicopter, which it said was carrying three crew and two officers.

“A Russian Mi-8 military transport helicopter was shot down from the ground after delivering humanitarian aid to Aleppo,” the defence ministry said in a statement quoted by Russian news agencies.

The Kremlin said all five people on board were assumed dead.

“As far as we know from the information we’ve had from the defence ministry, those in the helicopter died, they died heroically, beca-use they were trying to mo-ve the aircraft away to minimise victims on the grou-nd,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told journalists.

 

It was not immediately clear who was responsible. The incident was the deadliest single attack on Russian forces in Syria since Moscow began its intervention in support of President Bashar al-Assad’s government last September.

It brought the total number of members of the Russian forces killed in Syria to 18.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitor, said the helicopter had come down along the administrative border between Idlib province in the northwest and neighbouring Aleppo.

Idlib is held almost entirely by a powerful coalition of Islamist and jihadist forces, including the former Al-Nusra Front, now known as the Fateh al-Sham Front after renouncing its status as Al Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate. In western Aleppo, residents expressed fear that the assault could cut them off.

 

“If the militants break the siege, they will besiege us and cut the Khanasser route, which is the only artery we have,” said Hossam Qassab, a 32-year-old pharmacist.

A Syrian security source acknowledged the assault but said it had been repelled by government forces.

The encirclement of eastern Aleppo has raised fears of starvation for remaining residents, who have reported food shortages and spiralling prices since the government siege began on July 17. Last week, Moscow announced the opening of “humanitarian corridors” from the east into government territory for civilians and surrendering rebels wishing to leave.

On Saturday, Moscow and Syrian official media reported dozens of civilians had fled via the corridors, but residents and rebels on the ground dismissed the reports as “lies.”

 

Elsewhere in Aleppo pro-vince, the Syrian Democra-tic Forces, a US-backed Kurdish-Arab alliance, adv-anced inside the Islamic State group bastion of Manbij on Monday, the Observatory reported.

The SDF hold approximately 40 per cent of the town, and are fighting to take it with support from the US-led coalition against the ISIS.

Location: Lebanon, Beirut