The 19-year-old Uma Oram was speaking to someone over phone with the device put on charging when it exploded.
Bhubaneswar: A teenage girl of Kheriakani village under Laikera police limits in Odisha’s Jharsuguda district died after her Nokia cellphone exploded while she was talking, reports said on Saturday. The 19-year-old Uma Oram was speaking to someone over phone with the device put on charging when it exploded.
The intensity of the blast was so high that the girl suffered burn injuries on chest, left hand and right leg, killing her on the spot.
“My sister was on Friday speaking to a relative over phone while it was put on charging. Suddenly it exploded in her hand. We called up a 108 ambulance and rushed her to hospital,” Durga Oram, brother of the deceased said.
“Family members heard a loud sound from a nearby transformer. There could be some electrical malfunction leading to excess current flow which caused the blast. The girl died on the spot due to shock,” the police said.