Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 | Last Update : 02:03 AM IST

  India   All India  12 May 2017  NIA clears Sadhvi Pragya to apply for discharge in Malegaon blast case

NIA clears Sadhvi Pragya to apply for discharge in Malegaon blast case

ANI
Published : May 12, 2017, 5:46 pm IST
Updated : May 12, 2017, 5:46 pm IST

Earlier in April, the Bombay High Court granted bail to Sadhvi Pragya in connection with the 2008 Malegaon blast case.

The NIA had informed the court that it had no objection to the court granting bail to Thakur. (Photo: File)
 The NIA had informed the court that it had no objection to the court granting bail to Thakur. (Photo: File)

Mumbai: The National Investigative Agency (NIA) on Friday told the special court in Mumbai that it doesn't oppose the discharge application filed by accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.

Earlier in April, the Bombay High Court granted bail to Sadhvi Pragya in connection with the 2008 Malegaon blast case.

 

Thakur, who will have to furnish a bail amount of Rs. five lakh besides two sureties of the same amount, has also been directed to submit its passport to the NIA court and appear on the dates in the trial court.

The NIA had informed the court that it had no objection to the court granting bail to Thakur.

"Five lakh rupees surety has been ordered by the court and she has been asked to deposit her passport with the NIA Court. The court has directed that she (Sadhvi Pragya) will have to be present before the NIA court whenever it issues summon.

There is absolutely no evidence of her involvement," said Thakur's lawyer Shyam Devani.

 

The High Court, however, rejected the bail of Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit.
The Malegaon blast case victims will now be moving the Supreme Court challenging Thakur's bail.

On September 2008, a blast at Malegaon killed six and injured 101 others.

Tags: national investigative agency, sadhvi pragya, malegaon blast, bombay high court
Location: India, Maharashtra, Mumbai (Bombay)