Thursday, Jan 27, 2022 | Last Update : 05:55 PM IST

  India   All India  06 Apr 2019  MHA: Security cover to 919 withdrawn in Kashmir Valley

MHA: Security cover to 919 withdrawn in Kashmir Valley

THE ASIAN AGE.
Published : Apr 6, 2019, 6:23 am IST
Updated : Apr 6, 2019, 6:23 am IST

Among those whose security cover has been withdrawn includes 22 separatist leaders.

The home ministry was also of the opinion that many undeserving people had been provided security cover which was putting additional burden on the forces in the militancy-infested Valley.
 The home ministry was also of the opinion that many undeserving people had been provided security cover which was putting additional burden on the forces in the militancy-infested Valley.

New Delhi: The Jammu and Kashmir administration, in consultation with Central security and intelligence agencies, has withdrawn the security cover of as many as 919 “undeserving people”.

Following this, 2,768 police personnel and 389 vehicles which were deployed in providing this security cover are now being utilised in other law and order duties in the state.

 

Among those whose security cover has been withdrawn includes 22 separatist leaders.

The decision to conduct a detailed security review assessment was taken in wake of the Pulwama terror attack in February with both the home ministry and J&K administration sending out a clear signal to the separatist leaders that those involved in “anti-national activities” will not be given security cover by the state administration.

There was a view among the security establishment that policemen deployed for providing security cover could instead be better utilised in other law and order arrangements.

The home ministry was also of the opinion that many undeserving people had been provided security cover which was putting additional burden on the forces in the militancy-infested Valley.

 

A home ministry official said, “Following a detailed security review it has been decided that security cover of 919 undeserving persons is being taken back since the state has come under Governor’s Rule on June 20, 2018.

The move will release 2,768 police personnel and 389 vehicles which would be deployed in other security activities.”

Earlier, the home ministry had asked the state administration, currently headed by governor Satya Pal Malik, that a case-by-case in-depth review may be taken on merits.

“Following these strict directions, the Jammu and Kashmir State Security Review Co-ordination Committee (SRCC) held regular meetings to examine all the cases to ensure strict compliance of norms. After the review, the state government has withdrawn 2,768 police personnel from 919 undeserving persons and also from those who were having security cover excess than their entitlement. A total of 389 vehicles were also withdrawn,” the official added.

 

In wake of the home ministry directives the SRCC will continue to examine and review the requirement of security cover on case-to-case basis, based on merit, so that scarce and expensive resources could be freed and engaged to do regular police work, the second official said.

Tags: kashmir valley, mha