Death toll in Sri Lanka blasts rises to 310, 40 people under arrest

AFP

World, South Asia

Around 500 people were wounded in the blasts, Ruwan Gunasekera said in a statement.

Security personnel stand guard outside St. Anthony's Shrine in Colombo on April 23, 2019, two days after the church was hit in a series of bomb blasts targeting churches and luxury hotels in Sri Lanka. (Photo: AFP)

Colombo: The toll from a string of deadly suicide bomb attacks in Sri Lanka has risen to 310, with several people dying of their injuries overnight, a police spokesman said Tuesday.

Around 500 people were wounded in the blasts, Ruwan Gunasekera said in a statement.

He added that 40 people were now under arrest in connection with the attacks, which Sri Lanka’s government has blamed on a previously little-known local Islamist group, National Thowheeth Jama’ath.

Read more...