New Delhi: After the scorching summer heat, the monsoon is definitely a welcome change, which works as a rejuvenation period for mankind. With this, we welcome lots of illness unknowingly, such as, respiratory tract infections, cholera, typhoid, diarrhoea, malaria, dengue fever, asthma and more.
According to traditional ayurveda, 'what heals also prevents.' Various herbs have properties to fight against infections. These herbs will boost your immunity and help fight all air-borne and water-borne diseases that are common during monsoon, shares Dr Manoj Kutteri, wellness director at Atmantan Wellness Centre.
He also shares the list of those magical herbs, which helps to keep the diseases and infections at bay.
1. Basil or Tulsi contains phyto chemicals like Ursolic Acid, Eugenol , Bioflavonols such as Apigenin and lutein Ocimumosides, ,Ocimarin etc. Rosmarinic Acid is very good anti microbial agent for infections in the respiratory tract and aids the mobilization of mucus. It also provides relief from chest congestion by dilating the airways in the lungs. One of the easiest and most convenient ways of boosting your immunity system is to have about 1-2 cups of Tulsi tea daily. The hot tea neutralizes the cold coming into your body from the external environment and hence regulates your internal temperature.
2. Turmeric is great for your health and you must include it in your diet. During Monsoon, this magical herb works wonders in improving your immunity keeping the diseases at bay. Turmeric is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Try including it in your food and you can even add it with hot milk and drink every night.
3. Triphala a combination of 3 herbs (amla, beheda, harde) is a potent antioxidant. This aids digestive capability of the body which tends to go down during monsoon. Moreover, amla is the richest source of vitamin C, which reduces the severity of cold and makes the immune system stronger. Beheda helps in curing cough and clearing congestion. It also controls loose motions and cures diarrhoea. Gargling with the decoction of harde powder can soothe the throat. Harde is also a digestive aid and also helps in the pulmonary system of the body.
4. Licorice is associated with curing respiratory issues since ancient times. It's one of the finest cures for cold, soar throats and related problems.
5. Garlic has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-protozoal properties, it helps in relieving stubborn coughs and clearing mucus that blocks the lungs. The anti-viral and anti-bacterial property of garlic is attributed to the compound "Allicin" found in it that also provides the hot and strong flavor. The compound "Ajoene" present in garlic helps in controlling infections by bacteria, viruses and microbes. In addition, it also works as a natural preventive measure for cancer, more specifically colon cancer. It is also used for treating muscle cramps and muscle pain.
6. Ginger contains anti-inflammatory gingerols and shaogals in ginger root will help to relieve a sore throat quickly, and they also kill rhinoviruses, which cause respiratory infections like cold.
7. Cinnamom has a anti-bacterial and natural warming property of cinnamon helps in treating sore throat, colds and cough and a nice warm cup of cinnamon tea can heal throat irritation, itching and can prevent the approach of an impending cold effectively.
8. Pepper is added to tonics for treating cold and cough. Pepper also provides relief from sinusitis and nasal congestion. It has an expectorant property that helps to break up the mucus and phlegm depositions in the respiratory tract, and its natural irritant quality helps you to expel these loosened materials through the act of sneezing or coughing, which eliminates the material from the body and helps you to heal from infection or illness.