New Delhi: Hepatitis A is mild to the moderate viral disorder of the liver which is affected by the consumption of contaminated food and water. Unfortunately, monsoons are the best time when air/water borne infections are at its peak.
Since Hepatitis A is a contagious virus that can easily infect anyone, especially when coming in contact with the person who carries the virus or through contaminated food and water, the infection spreads easily in this season.
According to the Word Health Organisation (WHO), the risk of Hepatitis A is associated with lack of safe water, poor sanitation and hygiene. You can possibly get Hepatitis A if you drink or eat something that already has a virus in it. It is very common among young children. As there is a high incidence of water contamination during monsoons, there is an increase in the number of cases of Hepatitis A.
WHO reports Hepatitis A is one of the most frequent causes of food-borne infections. In developing countries where the level of sanitation is low along with poor hygienic practices, the incidence of Hepatitis A is high and almost 90% children have been affected by Hepatitis A virus before the age of 10 years.
Since prevention is better than cure, follow simple measures to keep this disease away, says Dr. Ravi Gaur (COO, Oncquest Laboratories).
1. Avoid outside food and water. Maintain hygiene and always wash your hands before having food.
2. If you are drenched in the rain, always take a shower and wash off all the bacteria from your body.
3. Street-food is a big NO! Since you are not sure about the hygiene of the place, it is better to avoid outside food.
4. Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
5. No Alcohol! Not only it has a negative impact on your already damaged liver, it can also make you tired.
6. Small, Frequent Meals for Instant Energy: By following a healthy meal plan with a balanced diet, your body will feel more energetic and keep you on your toes.
7. Exercise regularly: Frequent physical activity & exercise not only gives you energy but improves various functions in the body and enhances your immunity to fight against infections.
It is important to consult a doctor at the earliest sign of Hepatitis. Undergo some basic diagnostic tests in case you feel tired and have other symptoms of Hepatitis which might not be diagnosed earlier. Start taking treatment to counteract the issue. Maintain hygiene, sanitize your place and body often and always wash your hands before eating anything