Nuts, bolts and jewellery removed from woman's stomach in Ahmedabad

The Asian Age With Agency Inputs

Life, Health

Apart from the large lump which had made her stomach rock-hard, safety pins were seen protruding from her lungs.

Authorities have been unsuccessful in tracking down the woman’s relatives (Photo: AFP)

Some people have a habit of munching on weird objects including chalks and sponges due to psychological conditions. But sometimes people having such disorders may consume objects which can prove extremely dangerous and even fatal for them.

Doctors in Ahmedabad were shocked when they removed 1.5 kilos of nuts, bolts and jewellery from a Mumbai woman’s stomach. The procedure to extract objects including zippers and hairpins took around three hours as they had to operate immediately since a safety pin had punctured her stomach wall.

The forty-something woman is believed to have a rare psychological condition called acuphagia which people consume sharp objects. Apart from the large lump which had made her stomach rock-hard, safety pins were seen protruding from her lungs.

Authorities have been unsuccessful in tracking down the woman’s relatives while she has been kept under observation and is stable now.

Read more...

Related: