Mumbai again disappoints with poor voter turnout

The Asian Age.

Metros, Mumbai

Navi Mumbai and Kalyan-Dombivali recorded the poorest turnout, according to the Election Commission.

Shahid Pavte shows finger marked with indelible ink after casting vote at a polling station during Maharashtra Assembly polls in Mumbai.

Mumbai: It was the same old story in Mumbai, with less than 50 per cent voters exercising their franchise till 6 pm in many constituencies. Navi Mumbai and Kalyan-Dombivali recorded the poorest turnout, according to the Election Commission. The overall voter turnout for Mumbai city was recorded at 44.4 per cent, while the suburbs recorded a voter turnout of 46.92 per cent till the same time.

In areas like Colaba and Bandra west, where there is a significant elite population, the voter turnout was recorded at 37.43 per cent and 38.13 per cent, respectively. Versova, too, recorded a voter turnout of 39.47 per cent.

At 53.04 per cent, the highest voter turnout was recorded in Bhandup west constituency, which has a large Gujarati and Marathi-speaking population. This was followed by Anushakti Nagar near Trombay (50.84 per cent), Ghatkopar west (50.49 per cent), Dindoshi (50.2 per cent), Ghatkopar east (50.11 per cent) and Vikhroli (50.01 per cent). Meanwhile, the remaining constituencies fared between 40 and 50 per cent.

The overall voter turnout for the Assembly elections this year was comparatively less than the turnout observed during the Lok Sabha elections this year.

A nonagenarian was the cynosure of all eyes as he accompanied Union minister Smriti Irani outside a polling booth in Mumbai. “Today’s hero is Khanna sahab, who served in the Army. At 93, he came out to vote. It is an inspiration,” Ms Irani said.

Free Games on The Asian Age. No Installing, No Charges. Stay Home Stay Safe. Click the Banner to play Now.

Among the prominent personalities who cast their vote from Mumbai were Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray, Yuva Sena leader Aaditya Thackeray and MNS chief Raj Thackeray. State minister Ashish Shelar also cast his vote in Bandra.

Bollywood personalities like Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Salman Khan, and Deepika Padukone were seen casting their votes at polling booths.