Wednesday, Aug 16, 2017 | Last Update : 08:52 PM IST
Preliminary probe reveals that another worker and one fire personnel were also rushed to a nearby hospital.
New Delhi: In yet another incident, two sanitation workers died on duty while cleaning a tank in East Delhi’s Aggarwal Fun City Mall near Anand Vihar on Saturday. Preliminary probe reveals that another worker and one fire personnel were also rushed to a nearby hospital.
According to the police, the two sanitation workers, who were brothers, died of suffocation while cleaning a sewage plant of the city mall. Their father, who was working with them, and a fireman, who went to rescue them, have been admitted to a city hospital after they too had suffered from suffocation.
Deputy commissioner of police Nupur Prasad said that Yusuf (50) and his sons Jahangir (24), and Izaz (22) went to clean a sewage plant at on Saturday.
The incident took place at around 1 pm. When asked about the deaths, Ms Prasad said that the two didn’t have any safety equipment on. The brothers were residents of Sahibabad in Uttar Pradesh, which borders Delhi. “They collapsed from suffocation due to toxic gases. A fireman, Mahipal, who went to rescue them, also inhaled the gas,” Ms Prasad said.
Police said that though they were rushed to a hospital, Jahangir was declared brought dead and Izaz died later on. The DCP said that Yusuf and Mahipal are undergoing treatment. She added that a case has been registered though no one has been arrested so far.