Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 | Last Update : 02:56 AM IST
The 'Bern' hashtag has been used more than 1,082,440 times, according to the study.
London: Bern, a city in Switzerland, has been the most popular location to Instagram when the winter season gets in.
According to a research by laser eye surgery clinic Focus Clinic, known for its medieval landmark clock tower and stunning neo-Renaissance buildings, Bern is officially Instagram users' favourite winter city to upload in their social media accounts.
Focus Clinic, a popular laser eye surgery clinic in the United Kingdom, who gathered the 20 most popular winter travel destinations across the world based on Google search and ranked each by the number of times a city's hashtag was used on Instagram to determine its popularity on the photo-sharing app.
The 'Bern' hashtag has been used more than 1,082,440 times, according to the research, with Aspen, Colorado, taking second place with 935,000 tags, reports The Independent.
Not only is it the capital of Switzerland, it's also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Bern's historic landscape dates back to 1191 and is characterised by the Clock Tower (Zytglogge), the Prison Tower (Kafigturm), the sculptural fountains from the Renaissance, the Cathedral (Münster), and the impeccable sandstone facades.
Rounding out the top 5 winter destinations according to Instagram are - Aspen, Colorado; the Northern Lights in Tromsø, Norway; Chamonix, France; Yosemite National Park in California
Here is the full list of the 10 most Instagrammed winter cities in the world:
1. Bern, Switzerland - 1,082,440 photos.
2. Aspen, Colorado, USA - 935,040 photos.
3. Northern Lights, Tromsø, Norway - 768,516 photos.
4. Chamonix, France - 611,675 photos.
5. Yosemite National Park, California, USA - 596,214 photos.
6. Zermatt, Switzerland - 400,215 photos.
7. Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA - 314,870 photos.
8. Bled, Slovenia - 306,285 photos.
9. Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic - 179,914 photos.
10. Grindelwald, Switzerland - 149,836 photos.