Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 | Last Update : 03:56 PM IST

WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak

REUTERS
Published : May 15, 2018, 9:38 am IST
Updated : May 15, 2018, 9:37 am IST

It said 393 people who identified as contacts of Ebola patients were being followed up.

The World Health Organisation obtained 4,000 doses of an experimental Ebola vaccine. (Photo: AP)
 The World Health Organisation obtained 4,000 doses of an experimental Ebola vaccine. (Photo: AP)

Geneva: Democratic Republic of Congo reported 39 suspected, probable or confirmed cases of Ebola between April 4 and May 13, including 19 deaths, the World Health Organization said on Monday.

It said 393 people who identified as contacts of Ebola patients were being followed up. Information about the outbreak in Bikoro, Iboko and Wangata health zones in Equateur province was still limited, the WHO said in a statement.

At present the outbreak did not meet the criteria for declaring a “public health event of international concern”, which would trigger the formation of an emergency WHO committee.

The World Health Organisation obtained 4,000 doses of an experimental Ebola vaccine and was preparing for deployment in Congo, its Africa director, Matshidiso Moeti, told Reuters by telephone on Sunday.

Tags: donald trump. ebola virus disease, pharmaceutical drug, outbreak, alex azar, world health organization, nigeria, strike action, vaccines, health care